KnowledgeMap (KM) Web Application
KnowledgeMap was developed to enhance the delivery of medical education content to students and faculty. The volume of documentation produced during medical school makes it difficult to find information and to understand where similar topics are taught.
KnowledgeMap is a full-featured content management system. Its unique attribute is a full-text mapping of uploaded documents (slide shows, PDFs, HTML, or word processing documents) to concepts from the National Library of Medicine's Unified Medical Language System. KnowledgeMap's concept identifier uses approximate natural language processing techniques and rigorous score-based methods. Tools developed for KnowledgeMap allow quick searches of the curriculum, generation of relevant PubMed queries, and rapid assessment of where concepts are taught in the medical school. KnowledgeMap is the official vehicle for educational content delivery for the medical school. KnowledgeMap has been exported for use at other major academic centers.
The KnowledgeMap concept indexer has also been applied to a number of other medical corpora, including clinical documentation, electrocardiogram reports, clinical websites, and evidence-based medicine search tools.
- “Introduction to KnowledgeMap” Video Screencast
- "Understanding" medical school curriculum content using KnowledgeMap
- Automated capture and assessment of medical school clinical experience
- "Where Do We Teach What?". Finding broad concepts in the medical school curriculum
- Automatic capture of student notes to augment mentor feedback and student performance on patient write-ups
- Tracking medical students' clinical experiences using natural language processing
- KnowledgeMap Website
- Portfolio website